- Practice Commenced: 2005
- Total Mediations (as of Oct 2021): 700
Joseph Sullivan was born and raised in Hamilton, and called to the Ontario bar in 1984. He founded his own firm in 1989, and became a Certified Specialist in Civil Litigation in 1992.
Joseph's practice focused on bodily injury tort, accident benefits disputes, long term disability claims, short term disability claims, bad faith insurance litigation, slip and fall cases, municipal claims, and contractual disputes in commercial cases.
Mediation practice (full time) in hundreds of cases including dozens of Long Term Disability cases for Canada’s largest life insurance companies.
Mediated dozens of municipal liability, commercial, property, lien, employment matters and professional liability cases.
Past civil litigation including personal injury and insurance, bad faith insurance litigation, malpractice (medical, dental and legal) real estate litigation, tribunal advocacy, and commercial arbitrations. Practice before Financial Services Commission of Ontario (formerly Ontario Insurance Commission) and Courts at all levels.
Defence practice which extensively deals in first and third party insurance litigation claims, including fire, property and life claims (1984-2017).
December 2006 and December 2007 – Retained by The Law Society of Upper Canada to complete a Final Review of the Licensing Process Review Materials for Licensing Examinations (Bar Admission Course Materials for Civil Procedure)
Member of the Law Society’s Civil Litigation Specialty Committee, a committee that made accreditation recommendations for new Certified Specialists to the Law Society of Upper Canada
Mr. Sullivan regularly travels for mediations to the Greater Toronto Area and Niagara Regions, or is available via Zoom/video platforms.
- Contract Disputes
- Disability Claims
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Wrongful Death
- May 5, 2020 ADRIC Correspondence Course in Arbitration
- 1984 Called to Bar
- 25th Bar Admission Course
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- 1982 - 1983 Articles: the Late John D. Bowlby, Esq. Q.C. Bowlby, LuchakHamilton, Ontario
- 1979 - 1982 Bachelor of Laws Osgoode Hall Law School York University
- 1977 - 1979 McMaster UniversityPrelaw Studies: Two years of Mathematics Progran
- Stitt Feld Handy Mediation Certification (in affiliation with the University of Windsor Law School),
- March 27, 2004. Advocates’ Society Negotiation Workshop, Toronto, Ontario
Memberships & Affiliations
- Mr. Sullivan is a past President of the Hamilton Law Association,
- Past member of the Board of Directors of the St. Joseph’s Health Care System,
- Past member of the Board of Directors of the United Way of Burlington & Hamilton,
- Former Regional Bencher of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
Mr. Sullivan is pleased to offer the following rates:
Full day: $4,900.00 plus H.S.T.
Half day: $3,400.00 plus H.S.T.
2 hour mediations*: $2,250.00 plus H.S.T. (*must be held virtually and end precisely at 2 hour mark).
There are no extra party charges. Venue charges, if any, are additional.
For further info, please contact my booking clerk: firstname.lastname@example.org (905-296-0043).