Academy MemberMap & Directions
Recognized to Ontario Chapter for:
Civil/Commercial Mediation & Arbitration
Other ADR Services: ADR Training Services, Facilitation, Fact Finding, Insurance Umpire, Med-Arb, Mini-Trial, Neutral Evaluation
- Practice Commenced: 1993
- Total Mediations (as of Jul 2021): 3500
- Total Arbitrations (as of Jul 2021): 25
Jay Rudolph is a lawyer, mediator and arbitrator. He was called to the Bar in 1984 and practiced law for twelve years as an associate and then as a partner at a mid-size Toronto law firm. He has 36 years experience in civil litigation with demonstrated expertise in insurance law, commercial and employment litigation. As a lawyer, acting for both Plaintiffs and Defendants, he successfully attained favourable resolution of complex cases through the incisive use of litigation and negotiation strategies and trial advocacy.
Jay has been mediating cases for 26 years. He received specialized training in mediation and negotiation, including completion of the Negotiation Workshop and Advanced Negotiation Workshop at Harvard Law School. Jay brings to the mediation process an ability to listen, empathize and encourage communication which results in the practical and economical resolution of disputes. Jay is able to quickly identify parties interests, establish trust with the participants and he works tirelessly to facilitate settlements favourable to all parties. He has successfully mediated many thousands of cases over the past 26 years.
Jay has also arbitrated many loss transfer cases and priority disputes pursuant to the Insurance Act. He has been approved and appointed by Orders of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the Supreme Court of British Columbia to be an Independent Third Party Arbitrator to resolve appeals made by class members in a Class Action lawsuit against a Life Insurance Company in Ontario and British Columbia. More recently, Jay was selected by class counsel and counsel for the Defendant in a Class Action to provide independent legal advice to class members regarding the proposed settlement, including whether to opt out of the proposed settlement. Jay's written decisions are available for review upon request.
Jay has been designated a Chartered Mediator (C. Med) and Chartered Arbitrator (C. Arb) by the ADR Institute of Canada. He is a Distinguished Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators and has been inducted into the Ontario Chapter of the Canadian Academy of Distinguished Neutrals as a Mediator and Arbitrator.
In addition to his active mediation and arbitration practice, Jay is a Past President of the Board of Directors of Camp Northland, a non-profit summer camp for children. He also donates to various charitable causes. Jay loves to stay active by working out, hiking, and playing basketball and softball.
- Class Actions
- Contract Disputes
- Disability Claims
- Elder Abuse
- Estates & Trusts
- Legal Malpractice
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Homes
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Product Liability
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Death
- Wrongful Dismissal
- 2002 - 2005 Supervisor to student in Masters program in Conflict Analysis and Management, Royal Roads University, Victoria, B.C.
- 1998 Advanced Negotiation Workshop, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- 1995 Certificate Course in Arbitration, Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Ontario
- 1994 Negotiation Workshop, Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- 1993 Certificate Course in Mediation Training, Arbitration and Mediation Institute of Ontario
- 1984 - Present, Attended numerous continuing legal education courses in the areas of civil litigation and mediation, including numerous educational programs of the International Academy of Mediators
- 1984 Admitted to the Bar of Ontario
- 1982 Bachelor of Law Degree, Osgoode Hall Law School
Memberships & Affiliations
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Distinguished Fellow of the International Academy of Mediators
- ADR Institute of Ontario, Inc.
- The Advocates Society
- Ontario Academy of Mediators and Arbitrators, a Chapter of the Canadian Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
Please contact Isabel Martins for details regarding the rates. Isabel can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 416-222-8787 ext. 23